Comments

Please note that the comment section is "no reply" which means I can't reach you unless you leave a way for me to do that. My email address is at the top if you wish to contact me. Also, please, no soliciting. Thank you.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

These Friends of Mine


I have these three friends that I get together with a few times each year to celebrate birthdays and other holidays.  We don’t give big gifts, but we do exchange books so that’s always great fun.  Finding the time has always been a challenge for them because they are so busy.  Me, not so much, and we always do it at my place so I don’t have to go anywhere.   They each bring something, I provide something (all these decisions are made a few days before) and they do virtually everything so I can stay rested.  They are all very educated, successful women with busy lives.  The fact that I am part of that group always amazes me.  Actually, I have a couple of other friends outside that small group I feel the same way about.  Why me?  My life is about as interesting as re-runs of a television show that was boring the first time around.   I’m not saying this like a “poor me” thing; I really don’t get it.  I mean, I try to laugh, tell jokes, participate, be interested in everything they say and do.  And I think I succeed for the most part.

So we got together Saturday morning for brunch, a chat and a book exchange. One of them was discussing a health issue that she has and I hadn’t heard about it.  I said “I hope you guys don’t keep things from me because you think it can’t compare to my issues…nothing could be further from the truth, I don’t think that and I don’t want you to”  She answered by saying she hadn’t told anyone, it had nothing to do with me.  But I felt I needed to say it.  That balancing act is difficult.  You want to be honest, but either way, what I said sounded self-centered.  I was assuming they were keeping things from me because of my NF.  But if I felt they shouldn’t be allowed to complain because I’ve got it worse, that wouldn’t be right either.  And I honestly don’t, and never have.  It’s all relative.  Again:  roof, food, medicine, friends, family.   Ah, the challenge of being alive.

So we had a great meal, a great time and they stayed until I showered and changed my patch.  From now on, I won’t shower unless someone is here.  It won’t be the end of the world if I have a day when I change the patch without showering.  I can always shower the next day.  The problem with having friends over is that sometimes, once they leave, I am bored stiff.  I think all that action when my life is so inactive, screws up my brainwaves.  I have a stack of books (thanks to our book exchange and the ones I had sitting here before it) and Netflix, but I don’t feel interested in anything.  Plus, my stomach is a mess.  Too much food.

And that’s all she wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Click on "Older Posts" to read more!