Comments

Please note that the comment section is "no reply" which means I can't reach you unless you leave a way for me to do that. My email address is at the top if you wish to contact me. Also, please, no soliciting. Thank you.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Eight Years and Counting


It is patch day today, and like every other patch day, I remove the old patch, take a shower in water as hot as I can stand it, shampoo my hair, scrub off the glue from the old patch and step out of the shower.  Then I try not to look in the mirror over the sink that faces the shower.  I wrap myself in a towel, dry off and put the new patch on before rubbing lotion all over me.  Trying not to look in the mirror.  Then I put on the things that I sleep in, even though it’s only 2 in the afternoon.  I do this while trying not to look into that damn mirror.  The one that is over the sink, facing the shower.  The one that is, I swear, a reflection of some other me; perhaps the one that died in a concentration camp in its previous incarnation.

Yes, with age, everyone’s body changes. This feels like it’s a bit over the top.  I think back to 2005, just eight years ago, when I had breast cancer and had a mastectomy of my right breast.  Just before the surgery, I went to a healing retreat in NM.  I was able to fly there.  I was able to participate in the event, even though I was in pain.  I had the surgery and came out of it with flying colors.  My NF has advanced much since then.  I don’t even want to think about life eight years from now.  While I am far from the only one facing life changing events (my sister has lost two friends to ovarian cancer, other friends are facing health challenges and I am very worried about my dad’s health and the distance we are from one another).  So I get that I am not the only one with problems.

But I do have pity potty parties on occasion.  Then I get this in my inbox.  Puts things in perspective.  I have a roof over my head, food in my belly (well, no way to get it out again, but you know) access to the medicine I need and people who love me.  I am blessed.   Please click on this and watch it.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Click on "Older Posts" to read more!