Comments

Please note that the comment section is "no reply" which means I can't reach you unless you leave a way for me to do that. My email address is at the top if you wish to contact me. Also, please, no soliciting. Thank you.

Monday, October 1, 2012

It Can Be Done!!


After yesterday’s post, I thought I’d write one that’s a bit more positive and may give someone out there some hope about pain meds.

I am officially off the methadone!!  I took my last one on Friday, which was a day earlier than planned, but I felt up for it.  I was a bit nervous feeling and I must mention, I’ve had insomnia for several weeks, but I’m positive it was because of the withdrawal.  Last night, blessedly, I slept.  I had left a message for my pain doc for some temporary sleep meds, but I already take anti-anxiety med so they called this morning and said no.  Then I said I slept last night and they were thrilled.

It’s true I am now on fentanyl (patches) and my breakthrough medication, but I was in such horrible shape just five weeks ago, I don’t think I’d be here (truly) to tell the tale if I hadn’t taken action.  They informed me that very few of their patients are on Fentanyl.  I asked her why.  She said I was a good candidate because she knows how conservative and responsible I am with these drugs (I truly am…..to the point of it causing her (my nurse) to want to strangle me occasionally.  I can’t help it; the constipation drives me nuts.

Right now I still can’t go out much because of the pain.  It’s now about a 6 or 7 on the 1-10 scale (when it gets bad) and stays at about a 5 if I lay flat.  But I need to go out occasionally….I still have help with that, doctor appointments and cleaning.  Don’t know if that will ever change.  The point is:

It can be done!!!  And, the bonus?  I am much, much calmer.  Everyone has noticed.  When people get upset with me, I remain calm.  When a bill is wrong, I remain calm....etc, etc.  Very new experience for me....well, new from the last 10 years....before the methadone I was calm too.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Click on "Older Posts" to read more!